“The democratic process works -or does it?
If a developer takes his case to appeal and wins, even though a whole village – perhaps over 1000 signatories to a petition are against the development – the parish council, the district council and the county council have all objected, the democratic due process has been followed, nonetheless, and the development goes ahead.
In another case, however, thousands of people, nearly every parish council in the county and the county council object to a development. The cabinets of two district councils however do not object, but the due democratic process, as laid down by the democratically elected government, has been followed so the objections of the majority are upheld.
The democratic process appears to be fit and thriving.
But, hang-on a minute! The government is satisfied with outcome of the first case, even though the electorate were not. The government, however, does not like the outcome of the second case so they decide to change the rules in order to exclude the county council and the parish councils and leave the decision making to the district councils alone; those who would give the government the decision they, the government, want. Can that be right?
Sorry, but democracy appears to have gone the way of the Monty Python’s parrot.”
Janet S, Blencogo, Cumbria
Search the site:
Number of visitors
- 60,792 worldwide
- Cumbria Trust’s response to the draft national policy statement (NPS) consultation document. May 19, 2018
- “Campaigners slam £1m incentive to store nuclear waste” ~ The Guardian May 13, 2018
- GDF site search is ‘flawed’, Cumbria council chiefs claim. April 29, 2018
- Tim Knowles “Paltry payback on offer for dealing with waste” letter to The Whitehaven News April 14, 2018
- Too many questions left unanswered… April 12, 2018
- “Working With Communities” – Guidance notes for your own response to the consultation. April 8, 2018
- CT responds to the BEIS consultation: “Working With Communities” March 31, 2018
- The French approach to community engagement… February 24, 2018
- Sweden’s problem is also our problem… February 21, 2018
- “Working with communities” – we have serious concerns February 14, 2018
Calendar of Posts
July 2018 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Cumbria Trust on Twitter